Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beef Bourguignon






To dry beef pieces well is the secret to have a great beef bourguignon. That is what we were told in Julie&Julia. We just have to try to prove the difference it makes. That became a little job for me when Sammy apparently has not faded yet from the fever of Julie & Julia. I went to Farmer's Market and tried to find that perfect beef stew meat. I did not find beef stew meat but I did get a piece of beautiful round beef roast which can be chopped for the stew. I went back to the grocery to get carrots again for this dish.

Well we have something else special. It is golden chanterelles mushroom from our friend Laiyee's woods. I had it very first since I bought some from the market without knowing how delicious it is. It is not able to be cultivated and comes from wild period. It happened that Laiyee dropped by to give us her home-made black berry and straw berry sauce. So we invited Laiyee and Bob to share our beef bourguignon dish. Laiyee is a great baker who baked a beautiful peach pie and mozzarella tomato salad within two hours. As Bob tried to tell my mom, it was very luxurious dinner. Surely it is. $18 of a piece of beef, very expensive and hard-to-acquire mushroom, .... Most importantly, a lot of love and appreciation of fine cooking and above all, family and friends.

I suppose to post this a while ago. Well guess it is never too late to share the joy.

No comments: