Sunday, August 09, 2009

Chinese Lantern




I was fascinated with the plant that bears a small lantern-shaped pot first time I saw it. I was told exactly it is called Chinese Lantern plant. I managed to order a couple of plants. It was last winter and thought it was dead in my semi greenhouse. Well I found some sprouts coming up after the original branch dried up. I transplanted into the ground this spring. The plant is not interesting as I thought until it started bearing the lanterns. I cut them off before the lanterns are ruined by rain. It started looking nice after I cut off all the dried leaves.

2 comments:

Ice John's World said...

Be careful about the plant, Steven. It is invasive and might take over your garden.

Sam said...

ooooohhh, i did notice it grew really fast.. John, Steven LOVES those species that spread fast, so he can become challenged with controlling them...Our Bracken in the front garden would have pretty much taken over everything in the past two years if he didn't dig up the spreading rhizomes every few weeks.

Our neighboring back garden is COMPLETELY consumed by bamboo. there is a pathway into it but otherwise it has taken over. The birds love it.