Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Spaghetti MeatBalls

I have been always pretty confidence of my cooking. That "my cooking" is Chinese food. I just have a good grasp of Chinese Cuisine. No recipe is ever needed for my cooking. I often improvise with whatever I have in the fridge. However, it is totally different story when it comes to Western Cuisine for me.

I can not remember how many times I have had Spaghetti Meatballs. But I never dared enough to make it myself. Somehow I just do not feel that I have the handler of subtlety to Western Cuisine. For me, a lot of butter, cheese, and wine will do for Western food just as most of American think that soybean sauce will do for Chinese food.

A coup days ago, I happened to watch Barefoot Contessa that afternoon. I love Ina's show. Especially do not worry about fat and sugar and extra cups of them are all good for a special occassion which is everyday^^. No wonder that American size of 3 to 4 course meal makes us fatter and bigger than the moderation of French's 5 course meal. She was making saghetti with meatballs. Stranger enough I felt that I started to be able to remember the ingredients and wanted to give Sammy a little surprise. I almost followed her recipe since I never wrote it down or checked on line.

Here my ingredients are:

For meatballs:
ground beef
ground veal
bread crumbs
some chopped parsley
grated pamesan cheese
salt
black pepper
beaten egg
red wine (remember wrong)
minced garlic(bad memory)
olive oil
soybean sauce (old habit, hard to break)

For the sauce:
olive oill
yellow onion
minced garlic
red win
can crushed tomatoes
parsley & basil
salt
black pepper
fresh mushroom(I add)

It turned out actually pretty good. Apparently Sammy liked a lot and he filled all the way up to his throat. I am impressed with my first home-made spaghetti meatballs.

Food subtlety resides in culture intrigue. I hope that one day I will have the same instinct of Western cuisine as I have with Chinese one. My learning curve seems terribly long. Well, at least I had my first spaghetti meatballs now. Here it is





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum Yum! It looks great.

Sam said...

It was good! Totally yummy, and the soybean sauce was in lieu of salt.

Steven said...

No, It is very pretty plate that Faye gave to Sammy. It does look like a paper one on the edge.