Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Something Nostalgic For Our Arts and Crafts House

It was a long memorial weekend two weeks back. We went to Columbus and hoped that we could get the grill on sale in Target Store. It was sold out. Then we crossed town from west to east and stopped to visit a few shops before headed home. We tried to see one of our favorite store - Design within Reach. It was too late and closed. I wish that name really means it, How about "Design Within Outreach"? Certainly nothing is cheap. But every piece is just beautiful. I hope that someday we will own some.

World Market was the only store that we were able to get in. This was the second time I visited WM. Last time we bought two pagodas as clearance items. One was for Norma's birthday. One was placed in our yard in Atlanta. We were intrigued by all kinds of paper lamps and picked a couple to hang with those we have on the front porch of our new house. However, Sammy spotted three lamp-shape containers covered with this vibrant bright red fabric in the pile of clearance items. I immediately realized that we sensed the same thing. They are just magic pieces for that porch.

This fabric always reminds me of my childhood somehow. It was very typical old Chinese fabric from Northeast countryside. I do not think that my family ever had anything made of it since it was too country for us. But I am being attached since it has the footprint of the time and age. That is the best interpretation of the word "Nostalgic". I called it re-experiencable in mind. I might create a word. But you know what I mean.

Amazingly, Sammy just always has the eye for things unique and unconvetional. That is the talent. When nostlgia merges from East countryside folklore piece to West architectural classic, please allow me to present:





2 comments:

Steven said...

Thanks Tricky. It is quite fun to write.

Sam said...

I can't wait to turn those into lamps. And Tricky is right, you have a wonderful way with words mister.