Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Secure Our Insecurity

I have been lamenting that the older we get, the fewer new friends we make. My friend Todd told me that we might become more selective. Somehow, it made sense to me. Just cause we are wiser or less stupid?

Anywho, It seems that we just have to accept the fact. The fact would be that we might not make much more friends when we age. Sounds sad. But we just have to live with it.

Since Sammy moved here in January. I had got in contact with several local folks. The very first one is Carole. She is our real estate agent. During this house hunting process, It seems to me that only a one or two dozens houses are for sale at any point and more than a hundred agents fought for even fewer "jewels" among them. Well Carole certainly is one of them in the game. Just a bit of stretch^^. Certainly she knows most of houses in this town. She is very sweet and somehow confused for a second when you call her. She just can not recognize her clients' voice most of the time. We really like her.

Then when Carole was absent, she asked Robin - another agent in her office to help us for the inspection. I met her once before and she helped Carole show houses when Carole was out of town and I was in. Sammy and I just like her a lot. She is very tall and talks plainly. She is just very genuine one for us. She and her husband used to have a bakery called "Big Chimney"(still own and just not open to public). One day, we just wanted to check out and drove by. It happened that she was on the side patio with her family. We stopped and got a chance to have a glance of the inside of this cool old building. Her hunsband is just warm as she is. They wanted us to come over to have a dinner with them sometime. I know that we can be great friends and I think that we will be.

After inspection and having the final contract, we visited this mortgage agent whom was recommended by Carole. Her name is Lisa. We chatted about running in the field, winter or summer, bla bla. I was joking that nobody can afford having a bad name in a small town since everyone knows everyone or else. We like her as well.

Well Brian was the latest person I met. He is an IT director in charge of finance, HR dept in OU. I had a lunch with him to discuss the possibility to work in OU in the future. We had a great conversation and I felt that I forgot to sell myself a bit harder. I would like to work with him.

Yesterday, we were waiting for Carole to unlock the door and let us and our floor guy into our house soon-to-be. Sammy remembered that the owners never lock their front door. We surely opened unlocked door just before Carole got there.

My puzzl, no more. People need to have a sense of security when they make friends. This small town certainly offers just that.

2 comments:

Sam said...

nice post mister! you have plenty of opportunity to "sell yourself" to Brian with emails and phone calls. It wasn't even a real interview after all.

john said...

I love the small town feeling. You are right though, as I've aged, I've been more selective in who I interact with. I however, haven't stopped on the quest for making new friends. I'm just not at that stage where everyone I run into is considered a "best bud" anymore.